Friday, July 12, 2013

PASTRY AND POSSIBLE WORLDS


A couple of days ago, I was interviewing a shiny new college graduate for a position at City Bakery. He had majored in philosophy, and suffice to say, we do not often have budding philosophers applying for work here. This was all too tempting not to engage:

Me: "Any thoughts about philosophy and pastry?"

Him: "Pastry has no reason to exist."

Me: "Huh? Excuse me. Say that again."
Him: "Pastry has no reason to exist." 

I was somewhere between shocked, appalled and incredibly pleased. I asked him to elaborate.

He dove into "modal realism" and the Theory of Possible Worlds. He explained it with clarity.
I remained shocked, appalled and incredibly pleased.

Epilogue: As of yesterday, we have a philosopher on staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment